I’d been waiting for years to hear Dr. Deepak Chopra speak live and in person. I finally had my day in the sun in March of 2023. As I sat on the edge of my seat listening to every wise word he spoke, the decades of my deep study, practice and work crystallized in way that blew my mind. Optimism and purpose washed over me as Dr. Chopra shared the latest medical science proving the correlation between stress, disease and the power we hold to be well. I scanned the few hundred faces in the packed auditorium and thought to myself, “Everyone on the planet needs to know this.”
Dr. Chopra shared that stress is the #1 health epidemic we’re facing today. He described it as “resistance to existence.” His lecture, entitled “The Future of Wellbeing” focused on the science of the mind-body-consciousness connection, the power we hold to be well and these (7) pillars that are critical in combatting stress to optimize our overall well being:
- Meditation/Stress Management
- Emotional regulation
- Bio rhythms/grounding
- Self awareness and self realization
Dr. Chopra discussed the latest science that supports why each of these pillars have a positive impact. It was empowering to learn that less than 5% of the chronic illnesses we suffer from are genetically determined and 95% are influenced by epigenetics. We have the power to positively impact the other 95%.
I picked up on two overarching common denominators across the (7) pillars:
- Each pillar improves health by lowering stress that causes inflammation and disease.
- Anyone can choose to make these pillars part of their lives, if they have the information.
Dr. Chopra talked about the link between choice, awareness, self realization and ‘flow’, a state we experience when our nervous system is finely tuned. As he did, the critical role that mindfulness plays in overall wellbeing was underscored. I read through my notes and reflected on his words into the wee hours of that night. I woke up understanding that my mission as a mindfulness coach had never been so clear or validated. I grabbed my journal and jotted down these three truths:
- When we have knowledge, understanding and awareness we have the power to choose. I help people develop awareness through knowledge and practice that empowers them with choice.
- Stress overtakes us if we allow it. I empower courageous people to reset from stress, tune into their potential and thrive.
- The connection between body, mind and consciousness is ours to optimize and activate. By making that choice, we have the power to control how well we are and how well we live. My work helps people optimize their mind-body-consciousness connection.
Four months later, all of the scientific data points he shared are still here, at the forefront of my mind. Dr. Chopra’s lecture was a bucket list item for me. I am changed by what he shared. I am emboldened by the power we hold to be well and thrive. I am optimistic as I think about the profound capacity awareness and choice hold to change our health and the way we experience our lives.
*If you’re ready to step into your power and change your life, let’s talk.